Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Me? A Role Model?

Well, I am safely returned from my visit to the US, slightly more homesick that I was before I left. However, my sister's wedding was amazing (you looked gorgeous Kim!) and it was great to see all my relatives. I am happy to say that there were no arguments, let alone a murder like there was here recently over a wedding. (http://thepointonlinews.blogspot.com/2012/05/bridegrooms-brother-stabs-brides.html?m=1). What really struck me about this article is the last sentence. "Calm immediately returned to Buea Town and its environs." Basically, that describes life here. Horrible things happen, and then calm descends.

 Before I left for the US I was asked to speak at a local school for International Girls in ICT and Science Day. There are so many international days it is a little bit ridiculous, but as this is my field I guess I can't complain. As I was asked to speak as a role model to the students I decided to arrive on time, even though I know better. After sitting in the vice principal's office for a half hour, we wandered over to the meeting area, where I spend the next 2 hours helping to hang posters and curl ribbon and put out tablecloths. Who knew you could fold a tablecloth so many ways?

After we started, speeches were separated by skits and poems that the students had written. There were 4 schools that attended (out of the 8 that were supposed to come): 2 primary and 2 secondary. There was a prize of a computer for each primary school and each secondary school that had the best skit and poem. For those of you doing the math, that means half the schools would win a computer.

The skit that won for the primary school was all about how learning about computers can help you get a "bushfaller" husband. A bushfaller is a pidgin word for someone who is an international traveler, but usually refers to a Cameroonian who lives in the US or Europe. A common welcome for me when I came back from the US was "the bushfaller is back!"

The school that hosted was very well funded. Besides the fact that they had 2 (!) computer labs, they had a ping pong table made out of concrete. Kids played while waiting hours for the event to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment