Saturday, August 7, 2010

Koki

So, last week my host mom decided to teach me the art of cooking koki, a dish that her village is known for. As soon as all the kids saw I was cooking, they demanded my camera so they could take pictures of me. (Yes, I know my outfit doesn't match at all, I wasn't planning on being photographed) They said it was so my family in America could see what I was doing, so here goes:

The first step is to grind up a ton of cow peas. Usually, you would use a grinder, but the electricity was out, so we did it the old fashioned way (on the grinding rock). About half way through, you grind some pimente (hot peppers). The cow peas are a pale tan, but as soon as my host mom added the peppers, you got an outstandingly brilliant red-orange color. I tried to get a photo, but she was too fast to get a good one it before it was all smashed together.


I am not very good at grinding, my host mom kept correcting my technique, as shown here.


You line the wine boxes with oil (to prevent sticking) and then fill it up part of the way with the Koki mixture. After that, you add it to a large pot with water in the bottom (this simulates an oven).


After we put the Koki on the fire, we had to peel unripe bananas. They then cook these to form a side dish of sorts. There is a special technique for peeling the bananas so that the peel comes off easily. This is harder than it seems when the bananas are unripe.


Finished with everything

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allison!
    I have enjoyed your entries from day one . In this post your host mom appears fit and very flexible! Do they always work so low to the ground while preparing meals?
    Your unique skirt seems well-suited for such activities! I wonder how they celebrate birthdays over there....you will tell them won't you? -Aunt Pammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very good at the bending at the waist flexibility. When they work in the fields, or wash dishes, or do a host of other things, they are in that position. One of the volunteers is a yoga teacher, so we do yoga on Sundays. One time my host mom came with me, and she could easily put her hands on the floor while standing. The typical indian-style sitting was impossible for her though. Practice makes perfect I guess!

    They know my birthday is Saturday, but it is a bit strange since I am getting ready to move and so are they. We are actually both leaving Bafia on the same day! They celebrate birthdays similar to how we do, with food and cake. I attended a child's birthday party a few weeks ago and the kids all sat quietly around a table, a far cry from the usual American chaos!

    ReplyDelete