Friday, August 6, 2010

Site Visit

Ok, it has been a few weeks since I actually went on site visit, but model school has kept me too busy to wait for photos to upload. However, model school is now finished! Now I just have to grade the exams of 50 students and calculate final grades.
My site, as I mentioned in a previous post, is Mbatu. It is 4km from Bamenda, the capital of the Northwest region, so I will basically have all the amenities that Cameroon has to offer. Also, I definitely do not have a hut in a desert. More like a mansion in a rain forest.

My house:

It is on the top of a hill, so it looks very imposing. There is good security with all those walls and gates though! The owner of the house lives in Germany, so they rent it out. So far, I am only the second person to have lived in it. The first was the Peace Corps volunteer that I am replacing.

It is actually a duplex, though no one lives in the other half. Either way, I have plenty of room, and definitely not what I was expecting.

The view from my front porch:



My school is about 1 mile up the road, an easy walk, but there is also a van that drives up and down the road picking up teachers.

I was not able to see my computer lab, because my Principal was on vacation, but I was told there are about 20 working computers. There are two other computer teachers, and they are hoping to get an additional one before school starts. However, I am told it is very hard to get teachers, so it isn't very likely.

Less than 2 weeks before I leave for post! It is bittersweet. It is exciting to finally get out on my own, and regain a measure of privacy, but I will not see many of my fellow stagiares for 3 more months. I think most people are more than ready to get out on their own though. Best of luck to all of us!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, indeed!! I remember that same mix of anxiety about being on your own, missing your stagemates, the need to "graduate" from training and get to post! :-) It's a rollercoaster, for sure.

    I hope you were able to buy some furniture and supplies from the outgoing Volunteer. It took me a good 6 months to furnish my house. Your house looks awesome!! How many rooms? I assume you have electricity and running water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The person I am replacing was very nice and just gave me a whole bunch of stuff. I think I am still going to buy another bed (or at least a mattress) for visitors. I have 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom, a tiny room connecting to the kitchen that I will use for storage, and 2 living rooms. I have electricity when it is not raining, and I am supposed to have running water. When I went on site visit it was not working, but my landlord says it will be fixed before I get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing, Al. I hope that extra mattress is meant for ME! :) I wish I had a view like that from my front yard. And it sounds like your commute won't be so bad either! Love you...

    ReplyDelete