Saturday, June 26, 2010

Food

Before coming to Cameroon I got a lot of questions regarding what Cameroonian food is like. The answer: starchy, but not bad.

Here are some typical foods:

Breakfast Foods
-Omelette (eggs with Pimente, tomato, onion, and some sort of green vegetable, sometimes they add spaghetti too)
-Avocado Salad (Avocados, Tomatoes, Onion, Mayo)
-Bread
-Baked Plums (a fruit they call a prune (plum) though it is not the same as our plums)

-Tizan (A tea that Cameroon used to export)
-Matinal (Hot Chocolate)
-Sweetened Condensed Milk (heated it is better than I was expecting)
-NesCafe



Lunch/Dinner Foods
-fish
-rice
-spaghetti
-baton de manioc
-manioc
-irish potatoes
-plantains (fried or boiled)
-other meat (so far my family hasn't given me bush meat that I know of, generally beef or goat, though fish is much more common)
-cabbage with other stuff in it
-various sauces on the stuff, often made with peanuts
-grilled corn
-beans
-Kokee (made up spelling) Which is a concoction made of cow peas. It is pretty good, I think my host mom is teaching me how to make it this Sunday.


I told my family I liked fruit so they give me fruit with every dinner too, usually pineapple because Bafia is known for them (They are very sweet, almost no citrus-y taste to them here) but I have also had mangos, oranges, bananas, grapefruit, and an apple once (though they are expensive here)

They also make popcorn, they add sugar so it tastes a bit like kettle corn.

2 comments:

  1. You're making me jealous!!

    We always spelled it koki, but who knows? I don't like it much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot drinks!

    Soda: Top (grapefruit flavored)
    Cocacola
    Vimto

    Beer: Mainly Castel and 33 though Guinness is strongly represented

    ReplyDelete